I used to love sweet and sour chicken. There isnâ€™t much more to say about it. This is inspired by, and modified from,Â A Saucy Kitchenâ€™s Paleo recipe. To make a vegan alternative! But donâ€™t go comparing photosâ€¦
1 pound (more-or-less)Â chicken-style seitanÂ
- Egg substitute for 1 egg (my favorite homemade mixture:Â 2 tablespoon flour + 1/2 teaspoon oil + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder + 2 tablespoons coconut, soy or almond mild,Â beaten together until smooth)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cupÂ seasoned vegetable base
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Sambal Oelek Chili Paste (though tastes great without it)
- 2 dashes white pepper powder
- 1/4 cup sesame oil (can be substituted for olive oil or melted coconut oil)
- 1 1/4 cups pineapple chunks (well drained)
- 1 large red bell pepper (cut into chunks – 2 bell peppers if you love them as much as I do)
- Optional: 2 stalks chopped green onion
Cut seitanÂ into 1-inch chunks and place inside of a plastic bag. Beat the egg mixture and pour into plastic bag, coating the seitan. Set aside.
Begin making the sauce: Add the vegetable base, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup and chili sauce to a medium pan. Stir and slowly bring to a boil. Dash, twice, with white pepper powder. Stir. Reduce heat to low and leave until late, stirring occasionally.
Add cornstarch to the bag of seitan. Shake until well-coated. Resist the urge to say â€œshake and bakeâ€ in a Ricky Bobby voice.
Heat oil of choice in a second pan. Add seitan to the pan and fry over medium heat, rotating until the coating begins to crisp. Once the seitan is almost done, add the pineapple, minced garlic and red bell pepper chunks. Continue to sautÃ©Â until seitan is browned and cooked through.
Add the sauce to the seitan, pineapple and peppers. Cover, reduce heat and simmer to allow the seitan to soak up some of the sauce. Do this for about 3 minutes. If you are feeling fancy, unlike my photo, add sliced green onion and serve over rice!
Enjoy! I hope you made leftovers!
Additional Cooking Instructions
Want this vegetarian? Replace the chicken with cauliflower!