If you love egg salad, then you will love THIS! Don’t be shy, pile it on and enjoy! You will get two hearty and hefty sandwiches with this recipes, though it can yield 4. The hearty and hefty version, utilizing 1/2 of the chickpea mixture for a single whole wheat sandwich will provide you with 18.5 grams of protein! Pretty awesome, huh?
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup green onion, chopped (2-3 onions)
- 1/5 cup diced bell pepper (any color)
- 1/5 cup diced dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegannaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- Juice of 1/4 lemon (more, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or, to taste)
- Black pepper
In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher, leaving some chunks if desired.
- Stir in all other ingredients – celery, bell pepper, green onion, dill pickle, minced garlic, rosemary, vegan mayonnaise of choice, mustard, lemon juice and spices, sprinkling with black pepper.
- Serve on sugar free whole wheat bread (or any bread, really!) with some greens!