Fried plantains make a DELICIOUS tostada! Use any meat desired, or do it vegetarian! This is great with salmon (my personal favorite), shrimp, chicken or carnitas!
3-4 very green plantains
- 1/2 cup oil of choice (vegetable, canola, olive, peanut or avocado â€“ though please not that avocado oil requires lower heat when frying)
- 1/2 can refried beans (I prefer refried black beans)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced, or guacamole (yum!)
- 1 jalapeÃ±o, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salsa of choice
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Cut ends off of each plantain and peel. Slice plantains into 1 inch chunks at an angle (in the shape of a parallelogram).
- Place 4 or 5 plantain parallelograms in the hot oil (standing up, not laying on their side), careful not to crowd. Fry for approximately 5 minutes. Flip and fry the other side.
- Remove from heat and place, one at a time, on a cutting board. Take another, heavy (preferably wooden) cutting board and smash the plantain with force. Press the cutting boards together until you feel the plantain flatten underneath. Remove, set aside and continue smashing each one.
- Return plantain saucers to hot oil, very lightly sprinkle with salt and fry for another 5-6 minutes, until golden brown on each side, flipping occasionally. Remove from heat and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Serve hot.
- Stack refried beans, meat of choice (try these carnitas! though salmon might just be the best), cheese, jalapeÃ±oÂ slice/s, guacamole or avocado slices, and salsa. Enjoy your mini tostada! Youâ€™ll never look back.