Comfort food at its finest!
1 lb dried green lentils, rinsed
8 roma tomatoes, chopped (No tomatoes? Use a can of diced tomato! Preferably organic to avoid added ingredients)
2 large jalapeÃ±os, seeded and minced
6 large garlic cloves, minced
2 inches ginger root, peeled and grated (or very finely chopped)
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons vegetable base (try Better than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base! It’s delicious!)
1/4 cup avocado or grapeseed oil (have neither? Canola oil is a good substitute)
1/4 cup vegan butter (try Earth Balance Original!)
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
10 oz baby spinach, coarsely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
1 tablespoon ground cumin seed
1-2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste (generously apply)
Rinse and pick through lentils.
- Place lentils, 4 tomatoes (chopped), jalapeÃ±os, grated ginger, minced garlic, turmeric and coriander in a large pot. Add enough water to cover by 1.5 inches. Add vegetable base, stir. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to Medium and let simmer for approximately 1 hour. (The lentils will cook as rice does. Check after about 40 minutes, fluffing or lightly stirring before promptly recovering. If the lentils appear dry/hard and are not yet soft, add more water, cover and continue to simmer – if you are unfamiliar with cooking rice, please read this short guide before adding water to the lentils).
- While the lentils cook, melt butter in a sauce pan over medium-heat, adding cloves, cumin seeds and cinnamon stick. Cook for approximately 3 minutes, shaking occasionally. Add onions and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring so not to burn. Add 1 cup of water and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil on medium-high, reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute before turning off the heat completely. (I know, I know, but trust me). Remove cinnamon stick.
- When the lentils are fully tender, lightly mash or purÃ©e 1/2 of the legumes.
- Add onion mixture to the lentils, along with the remaining tomatoes, chopped spinach and cilantro. Mix well.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Turn off heat and add lemon juice.
- Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve with garlic naan, pita bread or rice.