Try this recipe with a store bought baguette or make your own, here!
2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, very finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cloves mined garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 oz) can of diced tomato, undrained (choose a good brand, trust me, it’s worth it on this one)
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha (optional, but delicious)
- 8 oz cheese tortellini
- 1/2 a cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 bag (10 oz) baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, roughly 5 minutes.
- Add garlic until aromatic (about 1 minute). Dash with red pepper flakes.
- Add flour and cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth (can be substituted for chicken broth), sriracha, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and tortellini. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer until tortellini is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly add the parmesan, stir until melted.
- Add spinach, allowing it to wilt.
- Add cream and remove from heat. Mix basil last. Serve with a baguette or garlic bread.
Additional Cooking Instructions
Want this gluten free? Substitute for rice flour and gluten free tortellini!