*I’m Vegan! Yum!*
2 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
1/2 a white onion, cored and sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1 inch pieces
1-2 large carrots, sliced into 1 inch pieces
1 cup chopped broccoli
10 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons loosely packed, fresh grated ginger root
2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon lemongrass
2 (13.5 oz) cans unsweetened coconut milk
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups baby spinach
1/3 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons sriracha
14 oz rice vermicelli noodles, cooked al dente
Salt to taste
Begin by cooking vermicelli noodles.
Place rice noodles, unbroken, in a medium-large bowl. Boil a large pot of water. Once done, pour hot water onto noodles, submerging them. As the noodles begin to soften, stir gently. Vermicelli noodles are a fickle b****, so you will need check them every minute or so to prevent them from becoming mushy. Yuck. The flat rice noodle will cook by this method in approximately 10 minutes. Once al dente, drain and thoroughly rinse in cold water to stop the cooking. Return noodle to bowl and toss in a 1/5 cup sesame oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a 7 Qt. or larger sautÃ©Â pan. SautÃ©Â onion for 1 minute. Add bell pepper and sliced carrot, sautÃ©Â for 1 minute. Add broccoli and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger root, soy sauce, lemongrass, curry powder, coriander, turmeric and salt. Cook for 30 seconds. The house should be smelling AMAZING right now.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable broth. Simmer. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and allow to wilt. Turn down heat to low. Add lime juice, sriracha and salt to taste. Stir in cilantro before serving.
- Place desired amount of noodle in individual bowls and top with soup. Garnish with jalapeÃ±o, bean sprouts, lime wedges, hot chili oil and red or green onion (optional).