Okay, so I have discovered that it is near impossible to get a good photo of the inside of a pot pie. So, for now, just trust me that this vegan pot pie is TO DIE FOR.
1 1/2 lbs super firm sprouted tofu (can be substituted for firm or extra firm, just consider adding 5-10 minutes to roast time)
- 1 Â package of lard-free refrigerated pie crust, otherwise you will have to make your own (please note: this recipe yields two pies. The other half may be frozen)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 5 celery hearts, cut crosswise at about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (if using)
- 2 cups Better than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base
- 1 1/2 cups rice or soy evaporated milk substitute (this can be done one of two ways and both yield the same great taste: option one or option two)
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 9 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sherry cooking wine
- 1 (12 oz) package of frozen peas, not thawed
- 1 (12 oz) package of frozen carrots, not thawed
- 1 (12 oz) package of broccoli and cauliflower mix, not thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare tofu. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Dry tofu on counter for 15-20 minutes by pressing it between paper towels, replacing as they soak. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dice tofu into 1/2 – 1 inch chunks and arrange on baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, flipping half way through. Remove from oven and set aside while you prepare the rest of the pot pie.
- Keep oven at 400 degrees and adjust oven rack to low-center position.
- Heat oil in a large (preferably deep) sauce pan. Add onions, celery and nutritional yeast; sautÃ©ing until just tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and mix with tofu.
- Next, microwave vegetable base and evaporated milk substitute in a microwave safe dish for 4 minutes. While this heats, prepare roux.
- Heat butter in the sauce pan, whisking in flour and thyme until golden, about 1 minute. Add broth and milk mixture, bringing it to a simmer and whisking continuously, about another minute. Remove from heat and stir in sherry wine. Salt and pepper to taste, noting that it should take a little saltier than desired as this will mellow out once all other ingredients are mixed.
- Add tofu mixture, peas, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower to the sauce.
- Divide mixture amongst two pie crusts, or reserve half for freezing. Donâ€™t forget to add 4 slits to the top of the pie! This releases the steam while it cooks!
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbling!
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes, if you have the patience!