This is a personal favorite and Christmas Eve tradition in our household. And, while the recipe original calls for beef, I’m certain you can comfortably substitute with bison or turkey if you are going cow-free, like me.
1 Hours     15 Minutes
2 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 1 1/4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cans bavarian style sauerkraut
- 1 can tomato paste or tomato soup
Several days before making the rolls, freeze 3 small heads of cabbage.
- The night before, remove from freezer and allow to thaw in a plastic bag inside of the sink (about 9 hours).
- In the morning, mix raw meat, uncooked rice, onion, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl. Set aside and prepared cabbage leaves.
- Separate cabbage leaves, careful not to tear them. Place approximately 1/4 cup (or more) meat mixture in the middle of a cabbage leaf, roll like a burrito. Fold one end over the meat in the middle, fold sides and roll tight. Line the bottom of the crockpot with sauerkraut. Add a layer of cabbage rolls. Top with sauerkraut. Repeat until full. Top with tomato paste and small amount of water, maybe 1/4 of a cup.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours.